Our People + Principals
LLB (Hons), BA (Hons)
Being an effective litigator requires creativity, commerciality, determination, intellect and efficiency, and it is these qualities Chris believes in providing to clients. He provides strong and persuasive advocacy in the Supreme, Federal and District courts in a wide range of matters, with a particular focus on corporate and trust disputes, property and contract litigation, consumer and trade practices law and insolvency. Chris advises a wide range of clients in the mining, finance, property and construction industries, professional service providers and technology companies, as well as individuals and small businesses.
Litigation can be a major investment, and Chris believes it is important to formulate a clear strategy with his clients to best achieve quick and successful outcomes, including where possible by mediation and negotiation.
Chris joined Williams + Hughes in 2008 after previously working for Justice Owen at the Supreme Court of Western Australia on the Bell litigation, the longest-running court dispute in Western Australia's history.
Chris speaks fluent French, and when he is not working he can usually be found on a bicycle having developed a passion for it after cycling from Canada to Mexico for charity.
He is a member of the Law Society of Western Australia and the Australian Institute of Company Directors.
Chris is based in our West Perth Office.
Chris’ recent matters include:
- Acting in a successful Supreme Court application for the appointment of an independent trustee to a large family trust;
- Successfully obtaining a Supreme Court injunction on behalf of a mine operator to prevent inference with its operations;
- Acting for a property holding company in a negligence action against its former solicitors, in a multi-million dollar claim;
- Representing a major mining contractor, in a multi-million dollar contractual dispute with an ASX 200 mining company which resulted in a favourable settlement;
- Acting for the liquidator of a major property development company in a number of successful Supreme Court actions;
- Acting for a financier in several successful Supreme Court actions to recover property misappropriated by directors of a borrower company; and
- Representing a company operating a managed investment scheme in proceedings against a former director – settled at mediation.
- Corporate & business litigation
- Trade Practices
- Civil litigation
- Employment & industrial relations
- Trusts and Estate Litigation